Leftover delights from yesteryear's afterthoughts. Moldy stew, rancid milk, a toxic sludge that leaves a grudge. Charming collections of peculiarly preserved sounds that taste better now than they ever did.… MoreLeftover delights from yesteryear's afterthoughts. Moldy stew, rancid milk, a toxic sludge that leaves a grudge. Charming collections of peculiarly preserved sounds that taste better now than they ever did. Salvage what you can, but please do not let any go to waste. LessHosted by Cool Beans Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 11:00 pm
- Wire - Pink Flag - "Strange"
- Torres - Silver Tongue - "Good Scare"
- Danger Mouse, Black Thought - Cheat Codes - "Saltwater"
- Seiko Matsuda - Tinker Bell - "Jungle Girl"
- Jose James, Ebban Dorsey - On & On - "Gone Baby, Don't Be Long"
- Sinéad O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - "I Am Stretched on Your Grave"
- James Brown - Reality - "Funky President (People It's Bad)"
- Gwenifer Raymond - Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain - "Eulogy for Dead French Composer"
- Lalo Schifrin - Black Widow - "Quiet Village"
- Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty - "Soundview/Ishmael"
- The Beatles - Let It Be - "One After 909"
- Mariah Carey - Emotions - "Make It Happen"
- Rockpile - Seconds of Pleasure - "Teacher Teacher"
- SZA - Ctrl - "Drew Barrymore"
- Palace Music - Arise Therefore - "Disorder"
- Slim Twig - A Hound at the Hem - "All This Wanting"
- Yoko Ono, Peaches - Yes, I'm a Witch - "Kiss Kiss Kiss"
- Helado Negro - This Is How You Smile - "Fantasma Vaga"
- White Fence - I Have to Feed Larry's Hawk - "Indisposed"
- Astrud Gilberto - I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do - "The Sea Is My Soil"
- Beck - One Foot in the Grave - "Cyanide Breath Mint"
- Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love - "VII"
Take a ride on The Groove Tube every Saturday night from 9-11 on WTJU.Hosted by Shea Butter Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 9:00 pm
- Future Force - So Close to You / Reincarnation - "Reincarnation"
- George Smallwood, Marshmellow Band - Just 4 You - "Funk by the Pound"
- Copeland Davis - Smoldering Secrets - "Morning Spring"
- Frank McDonald, Chris Rae, Wolfe Music - Mean & Dirty - "Zero Hour"
- Love Unlimited - He's All I've Got - "I Can't Let Him Down"
- Evelyn "Champagne" King - Love Come Down: the Best of Evelyn "Champagne" King - "I'm in Love"
- Gwen Guthrie - Portrait - "Padlock"
- The Intruders - Energy of Love - "Be Thankful for What You Got"
- Keith Papworth, De Wolfe Music - Hard Hitter - "Decisive Action"
- Rosetta Hightower - Rosetta Hightower - "Never Can Say Goodbye"
- One Way, Al Hudson - One Way - "Music"
- Don Blackman - Don Blackman - "Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide"
- Rosetta Hightower - Rosetta Hightower - "Tracks of my Tears"
- Nick Ingman, De Wolfe Music - Big Beat - "Down Home"
- Syreeta - Syreeta - "I Love Every Little Thing About You"
- George Duke - Guardian of the Light - "Reach Out"
- Gaston - My Queen - "My Queen"
- The Beginning of the End - The Beginning of the End - "Super Woman"
- Leroy Hutson - Hutson - "All Because of You"
- Nick Ingman, De Wolfe Music - Big Beat - "Trip Wire"
- Soul Supreme - Umi Says - "Umi Says"
- Donny Hathaway - Extension of a Man - "Valdez in the Country"
- The Blackbyrds - Flying Start - "The Baby"
- Lamont Dozier - Out Here On My Own - "Take Off Your Make Up"
- Stefano Torossi - Feelings - "Having Fun"
- Dorothy Ashby - Dorothy's Harp - "Cause I Need It"
- The Whispers - The Whispers: Greatest Hits - "It's a Love Thing"
- Rhythm Machine - Rhythm Machine - "You Got Action, You Got Me"
Gather 'Round each Saturday night from 8-9 for an hour of special concerts, both archived and live. There will be shows from the legendary Prism Coffeehouse archives mixed in with… MoreGather 'Round each Saturday night from 8-9 for an hour of special concerts, both archived and live. There will be shows from the legendary Prism Coffeehouse archives mixed in with some from our announcers' own libraries. And you never know when a live concert might happen, so Gather 'Round each Saturday night right here on WTJU! And every third Saturday, tune in for Third Rail, a live concert series brought to you by the Rock Department. LessHosted by Peter Jones Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 8:00 pm
- The Bad Livers (Danny Barnes & Mark Rubin) - Live at the Prism Coffeehouse (October 23, 1999) - "The Bad Livers at the Prism Coffeehouse (October 23, 1999)"
“Listening for the secret, searching for the sound…” going on three decades, Sunshine Daydream has been exploring the vast catalogues and catacombs of the Grateful Dead, as well as other… More“Listening for the secret, searching for the sound…” going on three decades, Sunshine Daydream has been exploring the vast catalogues and catacombs of the Grateful Dead, as well as other like-minded musicians from the last century. LessHosted by Patricia Smith Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 6:00 pm
- Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (Live) [50th Anniversary Edition] - "Morning Dew (Live at the Lyceum Theatre, London, England) 2022 Remaster"
- Grateful Dead - The Closing of Winterland: December 31, 1978 - "Terrapin Station"
- Bob Weir - Ace - "Playing in the Band"
- Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (Live) [50th Anniversary Edition] - "China Cat Sunflower - Live in Paris '72"
- Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (Live) [50th Anniversary Edition] - "I Know You Rider - Live in Paris '72"
- Jerry Garcia Band - GarciaLive Volume Two: August 5th 1990 at the Greek Theatre - "Evangeline - Live"
- Grateful Dead - Dicks Picks Vol. 10: Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA 12/12/77 - "Looks Like Rain - Live at Winterland Arena"
- The BLNDRS - Live at Blue Mountain - "Me and My Uncle"
- Kingfish - I Hear You Knockin' 1976 (Live) - "Big Iron - Live"
- Billy & the Kids - Warren Haynes Presents the Benefit Concert: Vol. 16 - "Shakedown Street - Live"
- Grateful Dead - Long Strange Trip (Motion Picture Soundtrack) - "Scarlet Begonias - Live at Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 5/8/77"
- Grateful Dead - Long Strange Trip (Motion Picture Soundtrack) - "Fire on the Mountain - Live at Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 5/8/77"
- Grateful Dead - Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead: Fillmore East, New York City, April 1971 (Live) - "Hard to Handle - Live at Fillmore East, NYC, April 1971"
Tune in for two hours of musical mayhem each Saturday afternoon at 4 on Jumpin' on the Bed as David rustles up an eclectic mix of high-energy Americana, blues, rockabilly,… MoreTune in for two hours of musical mayhem each Saturday afternoon at 4 on Jumpin' on the Bed as David rustles up an eclectic mix of high-energy Americana, blues, rockabilly, folk, jazz, indie, rock and assorted oddities. Regular features include obits in tribute to the recently departed, theme sets, new releases and (someday soon) timely artist appearances and interviews. Often contains high Bob Dylan content. If you’ve been looking for the heart of Saturday night, look no further. Tune in and start jumpin’. LessHosted by David Soyka Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 4:00 pm
- Dave Richards - Atmospheric - "The Heart of Saturday Night Live"
Blind Willie Johnson -
The Complete Blind Willie Johnson -
"Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed"
Notes: There's a rise in Covid cases, but no need to worry
- Essie Jenkins - Blues with a Message - "The 1919 Influenza Blues"
- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Hot Funky & Sweaty: The Sound of Heavy Soul & Funk Today - "Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In"
- The Rolling Stones - Living In A Ghost Town - "Living In A Ghost Town"
- Brian Hatcher Band - Trouble & Worry - "I Don't Worry 'Bout a Thing"
- Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya - "Don't Let Us Get Sick"
Gary Wright -
The Dream Weaver -
Notes: RIP Gary Wright, 80
Smash Mouth -
All Star Smash Hits -
Notes: RIP Steve Harwell 56, founding member of Smash Mouth
Jimi Hendrix -
Experience Hendrix: The Best Of Jimi Hendrix -
Notes: RIP Governor Bill Richardson, helped free American wrongly held hostage or detained overseas
Little Feat -
Legends Live in Concert (Live in Denver, CO., 1973) -
"Sailin´ Shoes - Live in Denver, CO., 1973"
Notes: RIP Bill Pinkey, globe circling sailor, 87
Maria Mena -
Cause and Effect -
"I Was Made for Loving You"
Notes: RIP Nancy Bairiki, 78, documentary filmmaker, won Peabody for The Loving Story
The Blues Brothers -
Live - The Closing Of Winterland, 31St December 1978 -
"Intro - Live"
Notes: RIP Frank Lee, costume designer for Broadway and SNL, notably the Coneheads and the blues Brothers
- The Blues Brothers - Live - The Closing Of Winterland, 31St December 1978 - "Hey Bartender - Live"
Jeremy & The Harlequins -
American Dreamer -
"Sunlight in the Rain"
Notes: RIP actress Arleen Sorkin, 67, voiced Harley Quinn
- The Rolling Stones - Angry - "Angry"
- Graham Parker & The Goldtops - Last Chance To Learn The Twist - "The Music Of The Devil"
- Moondog, Ghost Train Orchestra, Kronos Quartet, Joan As Police Woman - Why Spend a Dark Night with You? - "Why Spend a Dark Night with You?"
- Jenni Muldaur, Teddy Thompson - Once More: Jenni Muldaur & Teddy Thompson Sing The Great Country Duets - "We're Caught Between A Love And A Love Affair"
- Ashley McBryde - The Devil I Know - "The Devil I Know"
- The Grahams - The Grahams - "Running Out Of Time"
- Orville Peck - A Song For Leon (A Tribute to Leon Russell) - "This Masquerade"
- ZZ Ward, VIC MENSA - Dirty Shine - "Ride or Die"
- The Blind Boys Of Alabama - Echoes of the South - "Heaven Help Us All"
- Bob Dylan - The Man in Me (Live at Nippon Budukan Hall) - "The Man in Me (Live at Nippon Budukan Hall)"
- Bruce Springsteen - The Live Series: Songs of Summer - "Seaside Bar Song - Live at Farm Bureau Live, Virginia Beach, VA - 4/12/2014"
One salt-rubbed hunk of indie rock 1 Florin, Post-Punk Gold 1/4 Cup, Whine Pop Vinegar 1/3 Mole, Brazilian Tropicalisimo 2 Bunchs, Wilted Soul and Psychedelia 2 Omicrons, Electronic Ambience 1… MoreOne salt-rubbed hunk of indie rock 1 Florin, Post-Punk Gold 1/4 Cup, Whine Pop Vinegar 1/3 Mole, Brazilian Tropicalisimo 2 Bunchs, Wilted Soul and Psychedelia 2 Omicrons, Electronic Ambience 1 Candela, Forgotten Funk 1 Blessed Blast, Japanese Noise Bands Dash of bitter insouciance Salt-n-Pepa to taste Braise Weekly. Cooks between 2 and 4 PM on Saturday afternoons on 91.1 WTJU. LessHosted by Sister Pirate Jenny Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 2:00 pm
- Bobby Metronome - Rustic Sensations - "Slow Hand (ft. Dirt God)"
- African Head Charge - A Trip To Bolgatanga - "Push Me Pull You"
- U.S. Girls - Heabvy Light - "State House (It's A Man's World)"
- Sourdeline - J'ennne d'Ayme - "He la, Ou Vas tu-Donc?"
- Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain - "Knives of Summertime"
- Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life - "Gold Day"
- Sparklehorse - Bird Machine - "Falling Down"
- Micachu - Jewellery - "Guts"
- P.J. Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying - "Autumn Term"
- Drugdealer + Weyes Blood - The End of Comedy - "Suddenly"
- Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness... - "Twin Flame"
- LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening - "Oh You (Christmas Mix)"
- Francis Bebey - African Electronic Music, 1975-1982 - "Pygmy Love Song"
- Robert Palmer - Clues - "Not a Second time"
- Eleanor Friedberger - Last Sumer - "My Mistakes"
- The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat - "Paw Paw Tree"
- Charlotte Cornfield - Could Have Done Anything - "You and Me"
- The Blow - Poor Aim: Love SOngs - "Hey Boy"
- Hannah Jadagu - Aperture - "Warning Sign"
- Alice Phoebe Lou - Shelter - "Lose My Head"
- Stereolab - Nars Audiac Quintet Expanded - "International Colouring Contest"
- Bobby Lee - Endless Skyways - "Reds for a Blue Planet"
- Christy and Emily - Gueen's Head - "Thunder and Lightning"
- Box Elders - Alice and Friends - "Stay"
- White Mystery - S/T - "Don't Hold My Hand"
- Galt McDermott and Angela Ortez - The Ghetto Suite - "This Old Heart of Mine"
- Jacuzzi Boys - No Seasons - "Dock"
- Sarah White - Beeline EP - "Beeline"
- Thee Oh Sees - Help - "Meat Step Lightly"
- David Axelrod - Seriously Deep - "Ken Russell"
- Kevin Morby - This is a photograph - "Five Easy Pieces"
- Masayoshi Takanaka - All of Me - "Ready to Fly"
The tradition of Roots and Culture in the Old Dominion endures. Set upon the solid foundation of bedrock Nyabinghi chants, syncopated Ska and rumbling Rock Steady, your selectors build the… MoreThe tradition of Roots and Culture in the Old Dominion endures. Set upon the solid foundation of bedrock Nyabinghi chants, syncopated Ska and rumbling Rock Steady, your selectors build the framework of the positive Word, Sound and Power of Reggae. Riddim for the Next Generation each Saturday afternoon from 12 'til 2 right here on WTJU... LessHosted by Goldfinger AKA Scott Shisler Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 12:00 pm
- Augustus Pablo - Lee "Scratch" Perry and Friends: the Black Ark Years - "Vibrate Onn"
- Bob Marley & the Wailers - Songs Of Freedom - "Rastaman Chant"
- Johnny Osbourne - Truths and Rights - "Na Skin Up"
- Thievery Corporatoin - Treasures From The Temple - "San San Rock"
- Burning Spear - No Destroyer - "No Fool"
- Matumbi - Matumbi - "Guide Us Jah"
- Dubmatix - Dubmatix Dub Sessions - "Heavy Stepper"
- Dandy Livingstone - The Trojan Story - "Rudy, A Message To You"
- Johnny Osbourne - Truths And Rights - "Trouible Maker"
- Dennis Brown - Wolves And Leopards - "Whip Them Jah"
- the Frightnrs - Nothing More To Say - "Trouble In Here"
- Dubmatix - Dubmatix Dub Sessions - "International Dub"
- Mutabaruka - (Single) - "Black Attack"
- Mutabaruka - Black... Wi Blak... K... K - "People's Court"
- Johnny Osbourne - Right Right Time - "Peace And Love"
- Vernon Maytone - JonQuan and Associates - "Spread Love Around"
- the Clarendonians - The Trojan Story - "Rules Of Life"
- Slim Smith - The Trojan Story - "The New Boss"
- Heptones - Better Days - "Through The Fire I Come"
- Dr. Ring Ding and the Senior All Stars - Dandimite - "Green Pepper"
- Bad Manners - Ska United - "That'll Do NIcely"
- Sister Nancy - One, Two - "Bam Bam"
- Eastern Standard Time - Time For A Change - "Time For A Change"
- Fishbone feat. JonnyGO Figure - Ziggy Stardub - "Hang On To Yourself"
- Rude Gril Revue - (Single) - "Lioness"
- Stranger Cole and the Conquerors - Rudies All Round - "Drop The Ratchet"
- the Toasters - Ska United - "Underground Town"
- Loving Paupers - (Single) - "Ladders"
The second half of Atlantic Weekly, heard each Saturday morning from 10 til noon, switches over to Europe, delving into the Celtic tradition, Scandinavia, and beyond.Hosted by Bruce Koplin Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 10:00 am
Songs of Separation -
Songs of Separation -
"Cleaning the Stones"
Notes: Jenny hill et al
- Songs of Separation - Songs of Separation - "Unst Boat Song"
- Songs of Separation - Songs of Separation - "Sea king"
- Pat Kilbride - Undocumented Dancing - "Aires de Ponteverde"
- Pat Kilbride - Undocumented - "Live Bait"
- Pat Kilbride - Undocumented Dancing - "All the Leaves"
- Pat Kilbride - Nightingale Lane - "Nightingale Lane"
- Jan Bell - Dream of the Miner’s Child - "Yorkshire Water"
John Renbourne -
Traveller’s Prayer -
"South Wind/Feathered Nest"
Notes: Joe McKenna pipes and whistle
- Celtic Fiddle Festival - Live in Brittany - "When Angels Breathe"
The Firelight Trio -
The Firelight Trio -
"Matt Ryder’s Klezmer Set"
Notes: Gavin Marwick fiddle, Ruth Morris nyckelharpa Phil Alexander accordion and piano
- The Firelight Trio - The Firelight Trio - "Schicki Micki/Acrobat’s Bridge"
- The Firelight Trio - The Firelight Trio - "The Wages of Gin/Java St Andrews"
- Danu - Think before you Think - "Are You Ready Yet?"
- Leveret - In the Round - "Dundas"
- Neil Mulligan - Au Tabar Gle - "The Black Bird/"
Fine Friday -
Mowing the Machair -
"Mowing the Machair"
Notes: Nuala Kennedy, Kris Drever and Anna-Wendy Stevenson
- Fine Friday - Mowing the Machair - "Hornpipes"
- Fine Friday - Mowing the Machair - "Waltzes"
- Alaw - Denwyd i’r goleuni / drawn to the light - "Dal i Gredu"
- Lau - Arc Light - "Stephen’s"
For well over 30 years, Atlantic Weekly Part I has been providing listeners with a Saturday morning wake up call of acoustic music. From contemporary singer-songwriters and Americana to the… MoreFor well over 30 years, Atlantic Weekly Part I has been providing listeners with a Saturday morning wake up call of acoustic music. From contemporary singer-songwriters and Americana to the bedrock traditions of bluegrass and old-time string bands, we will have you singing and dancing around the kitchen during your first cup of coffee. Tune in and explore the insightful lyrics and musical diversity that can be found only outside the limits of commercial radio. That's Atlantic Weekly Part I heard each Saturday morning from 8-10. LessHosted by Sumner Brown Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 8:00 am
- The Chieftains - Voices Of Ages - "Carolina Rua"
- Dougie Maclean - From The Ends Of The Earth - "singing land"
- Mary Black and joan baez - rare, live and classic - "Ring Them Bells"
- Connie Dover - Somebody - "Shenendoah"
- Garnet Rogers - All that is - "Under The Summer Moonlight"
- Kathy Mattea - Pretty Bird - "Chocolate On My Tongues"
- Red Horse - Red Horse - "Don't Mind Me"
- Sonia - Almost Chocolate - "Clothesline"
- Jackson Browne - Downhill From Everywhere - "Until Justice Is Real"
- Mary Chapin Carpenter - Hometown Girl - "Family Hands"
- Cris Williamson and meg christian - cris/meg at Carnegie hall - "Song Of The Soul"
- David Mallett - Midnight On The Water - "Summer Of My Dreams"
- Dar Williams - End Of The Summer - "The End Of Summer"
- Susie Burke And David Surette - Waiting For The Sun - "Give Me One More Day"
- The Vogts Sisters - Broken Ties - "Jericho"
- C. Daniel Boling And Tom Paxton - New Old Friends - "Get A Life"
- Carla Sciaky - Rewind - "Under The Quarter Moon"
- John McCutcheon - Leap! - "Listen"
- Rani Argo And Daisy Mayhem - Some Bright Morning - "Crossing The Bar"
- David Roth - Rising In Love - "May The Light Of Love"
- The Gawler Sisters - Home Again, Home Again - "daisy song"
- Jimmy Buffett - Fruitcakes - "Delaney Talks To Statues"
- Misty River - Willow - "Green Eyes"
- Peter Mayer - Earth Town Square - "Blue Boat Home"
- Neal And Leandra - Old Love - "Old Love"
- the kennedys - Headwinds - "Waging Peace"
- Cheryl Wheeler - Driving Home - "75 Septembers"
Tune in Leftover Biscuits every Saturday morning from 6:30 'til 8 for stories and music from the early roots of American Country, Bluegrass and Blues music. We'll hear about the… MoreTune in Leftover Biscuits every Saturday morning from 6:30 'til 8 for stories and music from the early roots of American Country, Bluegrass and Blues music. We'll hear about the famous acts and the not so famous. From the Carter Family, Uncle Dave Macon and the Monroe Brothers to the less-heard sounds of Kelly Harrell, Washington Phillips, and the Golden Melody Boys. Jug bands, string bands, shape note singers, and even classic country and bluegrass artists from the 50s and 60s are all likely guests to round out the show and start your weekend right. Leave a message or request on their Facebook page (and give them a thumbs up!). LessHosted by Paul Josey Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 6:30 am
- Lost And Found - Classic Bluegrass - "Leftover Biscuits"
- Jim And Andrew Baxter - "The Moore Girl"
- Uncle Dave Macon - "Keep My Skillet Good N Greasy"
- Stripling Brothers - "New Born Blues"
- Alfred G. Karnes - "The Days Of My Childhood Plays"
- Lena Hughes - "Lamp Lighting Time"
- Bascom Lamar Lunsford - "Swannanoa Tunnel"
- George Wade And Fancum Braswell - "Think A Little"
- Dock Boggs - "Danville Girl"
- Rockbridge Jam 2023 - "Little Billy Wilson"
- Stripling Brothers - "Coal Valley"
- Jimmie Rodgers - "Away Out On The Mountain"
- Robert Johnson - "They're Red Hot"
- Ed Lang And Lonnie Johnson - "Hot Fingers"
- William Harris - "Hot Time Blues"
- Wade Mainer And The Songs Of The Mountaineers - "Mitchell Blues"
- Deford Bailey - "Alcoholic Blues"
- Teddy Darby - "Lawdy Lawdy Worried Blues"
- Lottie Kimbrough - "Goin Away Blues"
- Teddy Darby - "Lawdy Lawdy Worried Blues"
- Tampa Red - "Worried Devil Blues"
- Tommy Duncan - "I Don't Believe You're Mine Any More"
- Hank Williams - "Lost On The River"
- Hack's String Band - "Kentucky Plowboy's March"
- Narmour And Smith - "Someone I Love"
- Walter Couch And Wilks Ramblers - "Chesapeake Bay"
Each week scholars explore the worlds of literature, science, the arts, politics, history, and business through lively discussion with our ever curious host Sarah McConnell. From the controversies over slave… MoreEach week scholars explore the worlds of literature, science, the arts, politics, history, and business through lively discussion with our ever curious host Sarah McConnell. From the controversies over slave reparations and global warming, to the unique worlds of comic books and wine-making, With Good Reason is always surprising, challenging and fun. With Good Reason has won five Gabriel Awards for Best Documentary or Public Affairs Programs and is also the recipient of top honors from the Public Radio News Directors, Radio and Television Digital News Association and the Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Produced at Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. More information at withgoodreasonradio.org. LessHosted by Sarah McConnell Saturday | 09/09/2023 | 5:00 am