Tuesday nights, come to "Midnight Confession" - blowing past the pretense and hobgoblin sameness of the daylight world and revealing the dark truth in late night music, with admissions across… MoreTuesday nights, come to "Midnight Confession" - blowing past the pretense and hobgoblin sameness of the daylight world and revealing the dark truth in late night music, with admissions across the spectrum of sound, from the Flintstones to the Jetsons and The Twilight Zone. From 11pm until 1am and often later, lay it all down with your confessors Ciclamino and Kendall, Actually, as part of WTJU's “Groovy Tuesday” line up. Ask your pharmacist if "Midnight Confession" is right for you! LessHosted by Ciclamino Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 11:00 pm
- The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy - "Just Like Honey"
- Faraquet - The View From This Tower - "Cut Self Not"
Change Your Mind -
"Change Your Mind"
Notes: LP Lucky For You releases Jun 2
- Teri Gender Bender - CATSPEAK - "Misery And Us"
Cable Ties -
Notes: LP All Her Plans out Jun 23
- New York Dolls - In Too Much Too Soon - "Chatterbox"
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts -
If You're Blue -
"If You're Blue"
Notes: EP Mindsets releases Jun 6
- Dead Boys - Young, Loud And Snotty - "All This and More"
- Snõõper - Fitness - "Fitness"
- The Sound - From The Lion's Mouth - "Winning"
- Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight - "10th Planet"
- The Fall - O-Mit - "A Disco (City)"
- 100 Flowers - 100 Flowers - "Strip Club"
- Girls In Synthesis - I Know No Other Way - "I Know No Other Way"
- Elastica - Elastica - "Hold Me Now"
- Heartbeeps - Cum Together - "Ain't No Crime"
- Display Homes - What If You're Right & They're Wrong? - "At Capacity"
- CLAMM - Care - "Something New"
- Desinteresse - Voor Altijd - "Is Er Nog Tijd ?"
- Vosh - Vessel - "Bleed as One"
- Ritual Howls - Virtue Falters - "My Trash Mind"
- The Birthday Party - Hee Haw - "Waving My Arms"
- The Wedding Present - 24 Songs - "Go Go Go"
- The Gun Club - Lucky Jim - "Cry to Me"
- Holiday Ghosts - Absolute Reality - "Vulture"
- Colourbox - Colourbox - "Just Give 'em Whiskey"
- Panic Shack - Baby Shack - "Who's Got My Lighter?"
- Spread Joy - II - "Spa Schedule"
- This Mortal Coil - It'll End In Tears - "Not Me"
- Deep Red - Things We Can't Say - "Things We Can't Say"
- MSPAINT - Post-American - "Hardwired"
- Ladrones - Máquina Caótica - "Máquina Caótica"
- Horsegirl - History Lesson Part 2 - "History Lesson Part 2"
Cultural Vibes Radio
Cultural Vibes Radio with Ty Cooper takes a deep dive into fashion, film, art, and music. With interviews with filmmakers, fashion designers, fine artists, and musicians & performers. The music… MoreCultural Vibes Radio with Ty Cooper takes a deep dive into fashion, film, art, and music. With interviews with filmmakers, fashion designers, fine artists, and musicians & performers. The music is a fusion of R&B, Hip Hop, and Alternative. Tuesday night from 9-11 right here on WTJU. LessHosted by Ty Cooper Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 9:00 pm
Straight No Filter
You want the hottest classic and contemporary jazz, blues, and soul? You'd better come straight to the source. Straight No Filter delivers two hours of pure musical bliss from 7-9… MoreYou want the hottest classic and contemporary jazz, blues, and soul? You'd better come straight to the source. Straight No Filter delivers two hours of pure musical bliss from 7-9 pm each Tuesday night on WTJU. Your hosts Barrington and Michael bring you uncut, undiluted, unadulterated bops you can't find anywhere else. Accept no substitutes. LessHosted by Michael Kidd Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 7:00 pm
- Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles - "Cantaloupe Island"
- Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping - "Soul Vibrations"
- Butcher Brown - Camden Session - "Fiat"
- Christian McBride Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard - "Car Wash"
- Lettuce - Resonate - "Good Morning Mr. Shmink"
- Grant Green - Alive! - "Sookie Sookie"
- Butcher Brown - Live at the Vagabond - "Lysol"
- Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus - "Remembrance"
- Robert Glasper - F**k Yo Feelings (Instrumentals) - "Gone (Instrumental)"
- Nubya Garcia - Source - "Together Is A Beautiful Place To Be"
- Stanley Turrentine - Sugar - "Sugar"
- Brandee Younger - Somewhere Different - "Spirit U Will"
- Dezron Douglas & Brandee Younger - Force Majeure - "Gospel Trane"
- Big John Patton - Oh Baby! - "Oh Baby"
- Herbie Mann - Push Push - "Push Push"
Your weekly hour of cinema scoops, soundtracks, and scores to have you saying 'Play it again, Sam.’Hosted by Cameron Polson Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 6:00 pm
- Keith Mansfield - The KPM 1000 Series - Volume 1 - "Funky Fanfare"
- Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention - 200 Motels (Original Motion Picture Sound Track) - "Semi-Fraululent/Direct-From-Hollywood Overture"
- Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention - 200 Motels (Original Motion Picture Sound Track) - "Mystery Roach"
- Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention - The Grand Wazoo - "Eat That Question"
- Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention - 200 Motels (Original Motion Picture Sound Track) - "Lucy's Seduction of a Bored Violinist & Postlude"
- David Byrne - The Last Emperor (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - "Picking A Bride"
- Bjork - Selmasongs: Music from the Motion Picture "Dancer in the Dark" - "In The Musicals"
- Goblin - Zombi: Dawn of the Dead (The Complete Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - "Zombi"
- Angelo Badalalenti - Lost Highway (Soundtrack) - "Dub Driving"
- Tangerine Dream - The Keep (Original Soundtrack) - "Parallel Worlds"
- Pat Metheny Group feat. David Bowie - The Falcon & The Snowman (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - "This Is Not America"
- Giorgio Moroder - Cat People (Original Soundtrack) - "Irena's Theme"
- Giorgio Moroder - American Gigolo (Original Soundtrack) - "Palm Springs Drive"
- Robert Levon Been - The Card Counter (Original Songs) - "Arise Sun"
- Philip Glass, Kronos Quartet, Michael Reisman - Mishima (Original Music) - "Osamu's Theme: Kyoko's House"
- Bernard Herrmann, Dave Blume - Taxi Driver (Original Soundtrack) - "Theme from Taxi Driver"
Coming to the Stage
Join Alice and Steve on Tuesdays from 4-6 pm as they explore all the great live recordings of Folk acts "Coming to the Stage", and even throw in some full… MoreJoin Alice and Steve on Tuesdays from 4-6 pm as they explore all the great live recordings of Folk acts "Coming to the Stage", and even throw in some full concerts along the way. That's Coming to the Stage every Tuesday afternoon from 4-6 right here on WTJU. LessHosted by Alice Clair Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 4:00 pm
Madison Cunningham -
Revealer (Deluxe Edition) -
Notes: Red Wing Roots Festival follows in June from the 23rd through the 25th
The Arcadian Wild -
Notes: Arcadian Wild at the Southern on June 1st
Corrie Lynn Green -
Blow Away -
"In A Small Town"
Notes: Corrie Lynn Green with the Hot Mamas at Arts Incarnate in Harrisonburg on June 16th
Mr. Sun -
"The Amen Corner"
Notes: Mr. Sun at the Front Porch on May 31st
Railroad Earth -
Amen Corner -
Notes: Railroad Earth
John R. Miller -
Notes: John R Miller at the Southern on July 28th
Drive-By Truckers -
A Blessing and a Curse -
Notes: Drive By Truckers at the Paramount Theater on September 30th
Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway, Molly Tuttle -
Crooked Tree (Deluxe Edition) -
"Dire Wolf - Bonus Track"
Notes: Delfest is coming up on the final weekend of May from the 25th through the 28th
Rhiannon Giddens, Francesco Turrisi, Yo-Yo Ma -
Build A House (with Yo-Yo Ma & Francesco Turrisi) -
"Build A House (with Yo-Yo Ma & Francesco Turrisi)"
Notes: Rhiannon Giddens at the Paramount on October 2nd
Jesse Harper, Aoife O'Donovan -
One True Thing -
"One True Thing (feat. Aoife O'donovan)"
Notes: Bluegrass Brunch at Potter's on the first Sunday of everyone month
Dwight Yoakam -
If There Was a Way -
"Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose"
Notes: Dwight Yoakam at the Ting Pavilion on August 5th
The Wilson Springs Hotel -
The Wilson Springs Hotel -
"Let's Go Ridin'"
Notes: The Wilson Springs Hotel at the Southern on June 2nd
The Mountain Grass Unit -
Places I've Been -
"Another Day in Disguise"
Notes: The Mountain Grass Unit at the Southern on June 27th
The Barefoot Movement -
Figures of the Year -
Notes: Barefoot Movement w/ Wheaton and Acelia playing the Rivanna Roots concert series on July 13th
Chris Stapleton -
Notes: Chris Stapleton at JPJ on October 5th
Jon Stickley Trio -
Lost At Last -
"Valse de Wasso"
Notes: Jon Stickley Trio at the Clementine Cafe on May 27th
The Lil Smokies, Lindsay Lou -
Notes: Roosterwalk is the last weekend of May in Martinsville, Virginia
Peter Rowan -
Texican Badman -
Notes: Peter Rowan's Free Mexican Airforce is at the Tin Pan in Richmond on May 26
Notes: Nickel Creek with Hawktail play their rescheduled date at Ting Pavilion on June 22
The Fly Birds -
The Band Is Playing Covers -
Notes: Red Wing Roots Festival follows in June from the 23rd through the 25th
Chamomile and Whiskey -
Hard Luck Dreams -
"Hard Luck Dreams"
Notes: Chamomile & Whiskey at Pro Re Nata on June 9th
Dogwood Tales -
"Only Way Out"
Notes: Dogwood Tales at the Southern on June 9th
- The Waybacks - Devolver - "Lickkus Interruptus"
Ye Olde Tuesday Afternoon Rocke Show
Ye Olde Tuesday Afternoon Rocke Show, heard each Tuesday afternoon from 2-4, is an assortment of afternoon ear candy from 30 years ago to 30 seconds ago.Hosted by Erin O Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 2:00 pm
- Tom Tom Club - Tom Tom Club - "Booming and Zooming"
- The Particles - 1980s Bubblegum - "Family Life"
Josef K -
Sorry for Laughing b/w Revelation -
Notes: Originally released in 1981, reissued as part of Optic Nerve's Optic Sevens series
- Nape Neck - Look Alive EP - "Kiss Me Boy, I'm Dying"
- Sensor Ghost - Sensor Ghost - "The Dumb and Hateful Thumb"
- Clear Channel - Wish List - "Outside"
- Patois Counselors - The Optimal Seat - "Realities/Series of Viceroys"
- SUEP - Shop - "In Good Health"
- Divorcer - Espionage 7" - "Tiny Devil"
- Divorcer - Espionage 7" - "Bug"
- Kosmetika - Illustration - "Strawberry Needles"
- Kosmetika - Illustration - "Psycho TV"
- Memorials - Music for Film: Tramps! - "Tramps!"
- Memorials - Music for Film: Tramps! - "Feel of Time"
- Electrelane - Singles, B-Sides & Live - "I Love You My Farfisa"
- System Exclusive - Party All The Time EP - "Part Time Pierre"
Notes: Part of the Pylon Box; reissue of 1983 DB Recs release
- ONETWOTHREE - Welcome! - "Are You Have You"
Lizzy Mercier Descloux -
Press Color -
Notes: Reissue of 1979 ZE Records release
- Melenas - Ahora - "Bang"
- Teini-Paa - Sata syyta aloittaa - "Hattaraa"
- The Lo Yo Yo - Extra Weapons - "I Can Hold My Own Hand"
- Sweeping Promises - Good Living Is Coming For You - "Eraser"
- Model Citizens - NYC 1978-1979 - "You Are What You Wear"
- En Attendant Ana - Principia - "Same Old Story"
- Nicole Yun - Matter - "Lost Keys"
- Dolly Mixture - Remember This: The Singles Collection 1980-1984 - "Remember This"
- Look Blue Go Purple - Still Bewitched - "Cactus Cat"
The only radio program in Central Virginia that features women's music exclusively, Eclectic Woman spans all musical genres and the globe with a variety of rich perspectives. Expect a fresh… MoreThe only radio program in Central Virginia that features women's music exclusively, Eclectic Woman spans all musical genres and the globe with a variety of rich perspectives. Expect a fresh and tantalizing musical menu of singer-songwriters, women of color, and womyn's music, spiced liberally with traditional, blues, world, jazz, rock, avant-garde, and instrumental music. The Eclectic Woman show, heard each Tuesday afternoon from 12 til 2, also features music and occasional news updates which specifically serve the gay and lesbian community. LessHosted by Rebecca Foster Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 12:00 pm
- Sue Foley - Antone's Women Bringing You The Best In Blues - "Cuban Getaway"
- Bonnie Raitt With Jon Cleary - Goin' Home-A Tribute To Fats Domino - "I'm In Love Again/All By Myself"
- Rita Chiarelli - Music From The Big House - "Midnight Special"
- Rickie Lee Jones - Pieces Of Treasure - "Just In Time"
- Rhiannon Giddens With Allen Toussaint - Visions Of The Blues-Southern Music Issue No 18 - "Rocks In My Bed"
- Erin McKeown - Grand - "Born To Hum"
- Alison Brown - On Banjo - "Sun And Water(Here Comes The Sun/Waters of March)"
- Alison Brown - On Banjo - "Choro 'Nuff"
- Catherine Russell - Alone Together - "He May Be Your Dog, But He's Wearing My Collar"
- Gaye Adegbalola - Satisfied - "Big Ovaries, Baby"
- SONiA disappear fear - Live At Maximal - "Me, Too"
- Hanne Kah - Single - "Trick Me"
- The Storyweavers - Fallen Sparrow - "I'm Sorry"
- Heather Mae (Featuring Crys Matthews) - Glimmer - "In My Head"
- Indigie Femme - Justify - "Ma Yazhih Little Moms"
- Christy Snow - Remembering The Way-A Native American Flute Cd - "Forgiving Heart"
- Christine Havrilla And Gypsy Fuzz - California Night - "Mother It's Me"
- Mama's Black Sheep - Drivin' On (Live From The Road) - "Livin' Within My Means"
- Alice Phoebe Lou - Single - "She"
- Grace Givertz - Elephant In The Room - "Elephant In The Room"
- Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session - "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"
- Cowboy Junkies - Such Ferocious Beauty - "Hard To Build. Easy To Break"
- Bella White - Among Other Things - "Marilyn"
- Brandy Clark (Featuring Derek Trucks) - Brandy Clark - "Ain't Enough Rocks"
- Brandi Carlile - By The Way, I Forgive You - "The Mother"
- Oh He Dead - Single - "Is It My Love"
- Natalie Merchant - Keep Your Courage - "Tower Of Babel"
- Nikki Lane - Denim & Diamonds - "Denim & Diamonds"
Jazz at 100 Now!
With over 100 years of recorded jazz as a foundation, today’s scene is vibrant and exciting. Jazz at 100 Now! presents the best of current music in the context of… MoreWith over 100 years of recorded jazz as a foundation, today’s scene is vibrant and exciting. Jazz at 100 Now! presents the best of current music in the context of a deep and rich history. LessHosted by Steven Harris Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 9:00 am
- Eric Alexander - A New Beginning - Alto Saxophone with Strings - "Blues for Diane"
- Benjamin Lackner, Mathias Eick, Jérôme Regard, Manu Katché - Last Decade - "Where Do We Go From Here"
- Felipe Salles, Sofia Rei - Home Is Here - "Meridian 63"
- T.K. Blue, Stefon Harris - A Prayer For Us (Radio version) - "A Prayer For Us - Radio version"
- Ferruccio Spinetti, Jeff Ballard, Giovanni Ceccarelli, Elena Romano - Arie - "December"
- Avishai Cohen, Elchin Shirinov, Roni Kaspi - Shifting Sands - "Intertwined"
- Anat Cohen, Fred Hersch - Live in Healdsburg - "Lee's Dream - Live"
- Israel Tanenbaum, The Latinbaum Jazz Ensemble - Impressions - "Mambo Raro"
- Steven Bernstein & The Hot 9, Steven Bernstein - Manifesto of Henryisms (Community Music, Vol. 3) - "Xmen"
- 3 Cohens, Anat Cohen, Avishai Cohen, Yuval Cohen - Family - "Tiger Rag"
- Omer Avital - Devil Head - "Caavan"
- Emmet Cohen - Masters Legacy Series Volume One: Jimmy Cobb - "Two Bass Hit"
- Connie Han - Secrets of Inanna - "Ereshkigal of the Underworld"
- Vijay Iyer, Linda May Han Oh, Tyshawn Sorey - Uneasy - "Entrustment"
- Norah Jones, Anoushka Shankar - Traces of You (with Anoushka Shankar) [From “Norah Jones is Playing Along” Podcast] - "Traces of You (with Anoushka Shankar) [From “Norah Jones is Playing Along” Podcast]"
- Hiroshi Ozone, Makoto Ozone - Unison - "Madam Leo"
- Toshiko Akiyoshi - What Is This Thing Called Love - "Toshiko's Blues"
- Rudresh Mahanthappa - Hero Trio - "Ring of Fire"
- Tigran Hamasyan, Mark Turner - StandArt - "All the Things You Are (feat. Mark Turner)"
- Sachal Vasandani, Romain Collin - Because I Love You - "Because I Love You"
Cecile McLorin Salvant -
Live at JALC -
"Build A House"
Notes: Jazz at Lincoln Center is streaming last Saturday's Cecile McLorin Salvant show until 5/26 for members of their Jazz Live program.
Robert Jospe, Butch Taylor, Dane Alderson, John D'Earth -
Just Lookin' -
Notes: Robert Jospe Quartet with Robert Jospe/drums, Brian Mesko/guitar, David Sun/keys, Joseph Nichols/bass, IX Art Park Arts Festival, 4:30-5:30, Sat, May 27.
Sun Ra, Sun Ra Arkestra -
Marshall Allen presents Sun Ra And His Arkestra: In The Orbit Of Ra -
"Have You Heard The Latest News From Neptune"
Notes: The Sun Ra Arkestra celebrates the 99th birthday of bandleader Marshall Allen with a streaming show from Keystone Korner Baltimore on May 25.
Nicholas Payton -
Smoke Sessions -
"Gold Dust Black Magic"
Notes: Nicholas Payton Quartet is livestreaming from Smoke Jazz on May 26-27
José James, Ebban Dorsey -
On & On -
"Didn't Cha Know"
Notes: Jose James Sings Badu streams from Keystone Korner on May 26-27
Javon Jackson -
In The Studio -
"In The Studio"
Notes: Kind of Blue Acoustic Quintets celebrates Miles Davis from SF Jazz with streams on May 26-27. The group features Patrice Rushen, Javon Jackson, Donald Harrison, Eddie Henderson and Lenny White.
Uri Caine -
My Choice -
"J. Edgar Hoover in a Dress"
Notes: Uri Caine is at Mezzrow, livestreaming on May 26-27.
John Patitucci -
John Patitucci Trio: Live in Italy -
"Out West (Live)"
Notes: John Patitucci leads a trio with Joe Lovano and Brian Blade, streaming from Birdland on June 1.
George Coleman -
Live at Smalls Jazz Club -
"Blues for Smalls"
Notes: George Coleman's Quintet streams from Smoke Jazz on June 2-3.
Samara Joy -
I Miss You So -
"I Miss You So"
Notes: Grammy winner Samara Joy streams her shows from Keystone Korner on June 9-11.
- Cecilia Smith - The Mary Lou Williams Resurgence Project - "Sketch 3--100 Years of MLW"
Classical Sunrise - Tuesday
Start the day right with WTJU! Classical Sunrise offers two hours of classical music to ease you through your busy morning with friendly, knowledgeable hosts, weather updates, and everything you… MoreStart the day right with WTJU! Classical Sunrise offers two hours of classical music to ease you through your busy morning with friendly, knowledgeable hosts, weather updates, and everything you need to begin your day with a smile. On Tuesday mornings from 7-9, Matt Fritts brings you great performances of the finest in classical music to help start your day with uplifted spirits. LessHosted by Matthew Fritts Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 7:00 am
- Ignaz MOSCHELES - Kazunori Seo, flute / Makoto Ueno, piano - Flute and Piano Music - "Grande Sonate concertante in A Major, Op. 44"
Claude DEBUSSY -
Pascal Roge -
Piano Music, Vol. 2 -
"Arabesque No. 2, L.66"
Notes: first performed today (May 23) in 1894 in Paris
Edward ELGAR -
New Zealand Symphony Orchestra - James Judd, cond. -
Wand of Youth / Nursery Suite -
Notes: First performed for the Duke and Duchess of York 92 years ago today, with the composer conducting
- Sergei RACHMANINOFF - Evgeny Kissin, piano / London Symphony Orchestra - Valery Gergiev, Cond. - Piano Concerto No. 2 / Études-tableaux - "Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18"
Robert SCHUMANN -
Mitsuko Uchida -
Piano Sonata No. 2 / Waldscenen / Gesänge der Frühe -
"Songs of Dawn (Gesänge der Frühe), op. 133"
Notes: Composed while Schumann was suffering from mental and emotional decline, just five months before Schumann's attempted suicide and confinement to a psychiatric hospital.
Classical Prelude - Tuesday
Classical Prelude wakes you gently with fine orchestral and choral music. Most of the featured works are over 50 minutes long, enveloping you in a world of sound. Awaken to… MoreClassical Prelude wakes you gently with fine orchestral and choral music. Most of the featured works are over 50 minutes long, enveloping you in a world of sound. Awaken to music by classical and romantic composers such as Beethoven, Bruckner, Mozart, and Schubert. LessHosted by Various Classical Hosts Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 5:00 am
WTJU Overnight Mix
An assortment of tunes curated from WTJU's digital database.Hosted by DJ Auto Tuesday | 05/23/2023 | 1:00 am