The kind of bamboo you cannot stop from spreading, it is music of all forms plucked from outer space and planted in the soil of WTJU. Grounded and cosmic. Nothing… MoreThe kind of bamboo you cannot stop from spreading, it is music of all forms plucked from outer space and planted in the soil of WTJU. Grounded and cosmic. Nothing and everything. Neil Armstrong faked the moon landing and we have the tapes to prove it. LessHosted by Trey P. and DJ Laila Monday | 09/18/2023 | 11:00 pm
E. Jonez kicks your week off to a fresh start with his candid take on the hottest music, entertainment, and current events. Kick back with C'ville's best Monday night from… MoreE. Jonez kicks your week off to a fresh start with his candid take on the hottest music, entertainment, and current events. Kick back with C'ville's best Monday night from 9-11 right here on WTJU! LessHosted by E. Jonez Monday | 09/18/2023 | 9:00 pm
DJs Freddie Jin and David Buie-Moltz invite you to join them for an exciting and insightful exploration of avant-garde, free, and spiritual jazz. Expect to be challenged, inspired, and otherwise… MoreDJs Freddie Jin and David Buie-Moltz invite you to join them for an exciting and insightful exploration of avant-garde, free, and spiritual jazz. Expect to be challenged, inspired, and otherwise transfigured by music from the pioneers, torchbearers, and followers of these mold-breaking jazz genres. Free your ears and your mind will follow! Tune in to Point of Departure, heard each Monday night from 7 'til 9 on WTJU. LessHosted by David Buie-Moltz Monday | 09/18/2023 | 7:00 pm
- Sonny King - The Clifford Thornton New Art Ensemble - Freedom & Unity - "Uhuru"
- Richard Abrams - Muhal Richard Abrams featuring Malachi Favors - Sightsong - "J. G."
- Bob Egloff - Antithesis - Antithesis - "Haze's Dance"
- Kahil El'Zabar - Kahil El'Zabar Ritual Trio - Renaissance Of The Resistance - "Renaissance Of The Resistance"
Horst Muhlbradt -
The MPS Rhythm Combination & Brass -
My Kind Of Sunshine -
Notes: Studio recording. The audience applause between and during tracks is faked.
- Kahil El'Zabar - Kahil El'Zabar's Ritual Trio featuring Pharoah Sanders - Africa N'da Blues - "Africanos / Latinos"
Brian Holland; Lamont Dozier; Eddie Holland -
Barney Wilen And His Amazing Free Rock Band -
Dear Prof. Leary -
"You Keep Me Hanging On"
Notes: Cover of song made famous by The Supremes in 1966 and then Vanilla Fudge in 1967.
- Joe Haider - Four For Jazz & Benny Bailey - A Land Of Dolls - "A Land Of Dolls"
- Emmanuel Abdul-Rahim - Emmanuel Abdul-Rahim featuring The Times At Hand Orchestra with special guest Steve Berrios - Harlem - "Times At Hand"
- Harold Budd - Marion Brown - Vista - "Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim"
- Kaeef Ruzadun - Creative Arts Ensemble with B.J. Crowley - One Step Out - "Flashback Of Time"
- Cecil Taylor - Cecil Taylor - The World Of Cecil Taylor - "Air"
Annette and Mark look back at Bluegrass and Old Time tunes of yesteryear, and push forward to the music of today and tomorrow. Along with traditional Bluegrass and Old Time,… MoreAnnette and Mark look back at Bluegrass and Old Time tunes of yesteryear, and push forward to the music of today and tomorrow. Along with traditional Bluegrass and Old Time, they'll throw in some Folk, Local Favorites, plenty of Live In-studio performances, and the latest news of festivals and other venues for live music. So buckle up for the ride on Monday afternoons from 4 til 7 with the best picking and strumming around on Back Up and Push! LessHosted by Mark Rough Monday | 09/18/2023 | 4:00 pm
- The Tallboys - Rubber Dolly - "Paddy Won't You Drink Some Cider"
- Willie Nelson - Bluegrass - "A Good Hearted Woman"
- Clarence Ashley - Classic Mountain Songs from Smithsonian Folkways - "Cuckoo Bird"
- Tommy Emmanuel, Molly Tuttle - Accomplice Two - "White Freight Liner Blues (feat. Molly Tuttle)"
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken Volume Two - "Grandpa Was A Carpenter"
- Old Crow Medicine Show, Mavis Staples - Jubilee - "One Drop"
- The Vollmers - Waves on the Sea - "The Ballad of Frankie Silver"
- Sierra Ferrell - Coat Of Many Colors - "Coat Of Many Colors"
- Daniel Grindstaff, Paul Brewster, Dolly Parton - Forever Young - "Forever Young"
- The Steeldrivers - Tougher Than Nails - "Somewhere Down The Road"
- Iron Mountain String Band - Walkin' in the Parlor: Old Time Music of the Southern Mountains - "Sugar Hill"
- Molly Tuttle, Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway - City of Gold - "Alice in the Bluegrass"
- Rhiannon Giddens - You're the One - "You Louisiana Man"
- Dan Tyminski - God Fearing Heathen - "Never Comin' Home"
- Hedy West - Ballads - "Little Sadie"
- Billy Strings, Don Julin - Rock Of Ages - "Soldier's Joy"
- Cory Walker, Sierra Ferrell - School Project - "Tried to Ruin My Name"
- The Carter Family - The Country Music Hall Of Fame - "Young Freda Bolt"
- Mighty Poplar, Andrew Marlin, Noam Pikelny, Chris Eldridge, Alex Hargreaves, Greg Garrison - Mighty Poplar - "Up on the Divide"
- Big Medicine - Fever in the South - "Hell Up Coal Holler"
- Robbie Fulks - Bluegrass Vacation - "Longhair Bluegrass"
- The New Lost City Ramblers - 50 Years: Where Do You Come From? Where Do You Go? - "Rabbit Chase"
- The Del McCoury Band - Del & The Boys - "Goldbrickin'"
- The Infamous Stringdusters - Down the Road - "Down the Road"
- Claire Lynch - Whatcha Gonna Do - "My Florida Sunshine"
- Tori Miller - There is a Time - "There is a Time"
- Steep Canyon Rangers - Morning Shift - "Hominy Valley"
- Old Crow Medicine Show - Jubilee - "Smoky Mountain Girl"
- Megan Lynch Chowning, Adam Chowning - Face to Face - "Chinquapin Hunting"
- Kirk Sutphin - Masters of the Banjo - "Oh My Little Darling"
- Marija Droze - Maria with a "J" - "Broken Glass"
- Dale Ann Bradley, John Conlee - Kentucky for Me - "I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal"
- Darrell Scott, Darrell Scott String Band, John Cowan - Old Cane Back Rocker - "Southern Cross"
- The Travelin' McCourys - The Whole of the Moon - "The Whole of the Moon"
- The Osborne Brothers - Bluegrass Collection - "Sunny Side Of The Mountain"
- Jane Archer and the Reactionaries - The Great Atomic Power - "I'm No Communist"
- The Louvin Brothers - Encore - "Cash On The Barrel Head"
- Almeda Riddle - Sounds Of The South - "My Little Rooster"
- Frank Proffitt - Frank Proffitt of Reese, Nc - "Rye Whiskey"
- Jim & Jesse - Y'all Come: The Essential Jim & Jesse - "Ballad of Thunder Road"
- Ola Belle Reed, Bud Reed, John Coffey - Rising Sun Melodies - "Undone in Sorrow"
- Mac Wiseman, The Osborne Brothers - Most Requested - "Shackles & Chains"
- George Pegram - George Pegram - "Johnson's Old Grey Mule"
- Roscoe Holcomb - An Untamed Sense of Control - "The Hills of Mexico"
- The Seldom Scene - Long Time... Seldom Scene - "I'll Be No Stranger There"
- Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys - Winning Combinations - "Footprints In The Snow"
- Ralph Stanley, Ralph Stanley II - Side By Side - "Don't Weep for Me"
- Gillian Welch - Hell Among The Yearlings - "Caleb Meyer"
- Elizabeth LaPrelle - Lizard In The Spring - "Awake, Awake"
- Rafe Stefanini - Hell And Scissors - "Hell And Scissors"
- Troublesome Creek - Fast As Time Can Take Me - "Walk Along John To Kansas"
- Hazel Dickens, Alice Gerrard - Pioneering Women of Bluegrass - "Train on the Island"
The Broadcasting System: is about getting into it. Lightning Bolt gets into it, and so do Tony Conrad and Stereolab. Ralph Peer recorded Jimmie Rogers and the Carter Family getting… MoreThe Broadcasting System: is about getting into it. Lightning Bolt gets into it, and so do Tony Conrad and Stereolab. Ralph Peer recorded Jimmie Rogers and the Carter Family getting into it in Bristol. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is all about it. They get into it in the forests of Bali and they surf slack-keyed on it in Hawaii. It's called transport, and only music - every kind of music - does it for me. How about you? Two hours spent deep in it, with Tyler. Enjoy another Blue Monday with DJ ANDROID, 2-4pm every other week. LessHosted by Tyler Broadcasting System Monday | 09/18/2023 | 2:00 pm
- Trenchmouth - The Broadcasting System - "Picking Up Interference"
Carl Stone -
Electronic Music from 1972-2022 -
Notes: 1987 https://carlstone.bandcamp.com/album/electronic-music-from-1972-2022
Umeko Ando -
Upopo Sanke -
"Iuta Upopo (イウタ ウポポ)"
In Fine Style -
Romain de Ferron -
Couvent de la Tourette -
Vibracathedral Orchestra -
Joka Baya -
"Es Inaceptable Para Mi"
Cities and Memory -
Sacred Spaces -
"Deep inside a church organ (Allexton, England)"
音旋響 A.K.A Omsenkyo -
龍巳 / TATSUMI 2020 remaster -
"空 / Emptiness"
75 Dollar Bill -
Live at Cafe OTO -
"WZN#3 (matinee set)"
Vibracathedral Orchestra -
Joka Baya -
"A Mirrored Pyramid (For JS)"
Rob Mazurek Quartet -
Father's Wing -
Notes: Rob Mazurek, Kris Davis, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, Chad Taylor https://rogueart1.bandcamp.com/album/fathers-wing
Stephen O’Malley & Anthony Pateras -
Sept duos pour guitare acoustique & piano préparé -
Rebekah Okpoti -
"Tender / Diving"
- Trenchmouth - The Broadcasting System - "Interference"
From the Dixie-fried sounds of the Southern soul centers of Muscle Shoals, Memphis, New Orleans and Shreveport to the Uptown Rhythm and Blues shots from the Northern cities of Chicago,… MoreFrom the Dixie-fried sounds of the Southern soul centers of Muscle Shoals, Memphis, New Orleans and Shreveport to the Uptown Rhythm and Blues shots from the Northern cities of Chicago, Detroit, New York and Philadelphia, Rum Cove puts you in a Situation that is Sooo Soulful! Soulful Situation, each Monday afternoon from noon 'til 2 right here on WTJU. LessHosted by Rum Cove Monday | 09/18/2023 | 12:00 pm
- Jalen Ngonda - Come Around And love Me - "Come around and love Me"
- Dorothy Moore - 45 - "Here it is"
- Don Covay - 45 - "Overtime man"
- Round Robin Monopoly - 45 - "Life is Funky"
- Bobby Byrd - 45 - "Hot pants-I'm coming, I'm coming"
- Shack - 45 - "Too many lovers"
- Fenton Robinson - 45 - "She's a wiggler"
- Willie Hightower - 45 - "Chicago, send her home"
- Tommie Young - 45 - "You brought it all on yourself"
- Johnnie Taylor - 45 - "We're getting careless with our love"
- Sonny Green - 45 - "You better take time"
- Freddie North - 45 - "Roll over (play like our love ain't dead)"
- Joe Simon - The World of Joe Simon - "Who's Julie"
- The Spinners - Smash Hits - "The clown"
- Paul Kelly - 45 - "Poor but proud"
- Chet 'Poison' Ivey - 45 - "Soul is my game"
- Little Milton - 45 - "You colored my Blues bright"
- Rufus Thomas - 45 - "The Memphis Train"
- Ernie K-Doe - 45 - "Little Marie"
- Willie Mitchell - 45 - "20-75"
- Billy Butler & Infinity - 45 - "Free yourself"
- Sam & Dave - 45 - "Soul sister, brown sugar"
- Natural Bridge Bunch - 45 - "Pig snoots Pt1&2"
- The Temptations - 45 - "Don't let the Joneses get you down"
- The Dixie-Cups - 45 - "You should have seen the way he looked at me"
- Jalen Ngonda - Come Around And Love Me - "If you don't want my love"
- William Bell - One Day Closer To Home - "Brag about you"
- Bettye LaVette - LaVette! - "Mess about it"
- Johnny Rawls - Walking Heart Attack - "Walking heart attack"
- Bobby Rush - All My Love For You - "Running in and out"
Modern Jazz programming designed to give your morning a lift. Left of Cool , heard each Monday morning from 10:30 til noon, is a place where improvising musicians of all… MoreModern Jazz programming designed to give your morning a lift. Left of Cool , heard each Monday morning from 10:30 til noon, is a place where improvising musicians of all styles can come together and see what's possible. Searching for that common thread, acoustic or electric, experimental and eclectic -- whatever sounds good! LessHosted by Larry Minnick Monday | 09/18/2023 | 10:30 am
- Ben Allison - Medicine Wheel - "Spy"
- Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel - Third Eye - "Kush"
- Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel - Riding The Nuclear Tiger - "Jazz Scene Voyeur"
- Ben Allison - Peace Pipe - "Third Rail"
- Ben Allison - Cowboy Justice - "Tricky Dick"
- Ben Allison & Man Size Safe - Little Things Run The World - "Jealous Guy"
- Ben Allison - Think Free - "Platypus"
- Ben Allison - The Stars Look Very Different Today - "Neutron Star"
Great Morning Jazz, heard each Monday from 9 til 10:30, will provide relief from the Monday Morning Blues. The tunes will include new releases and older ones, the various styles… MoreGreat Morning Jazz, heard each Monday from 9 til 10:30, will provide relief from the Monday Morning Blues. The tunes will include new releases and older ones, the various styles (bop, hardbop, soul jazz, etc.), enough variety of tempo to keep the vital juices flowing, and a weekly sprinkling of modern blues for spice. It's good for what ails ya'. LessHosted by Johnny Bishop Monday | 09/18/2023 | 9:00 am
- Al Cohn - Zoot Sims Quintet (Al Cohn-ts, Zoot Sims-ts, Mose Allison as "Old Grand Happy"-p, Bill Crow-b, Gus Johnson-d) - Either Way (12 Classic Albums 1956-1962, Disc 5) - "Morning Fun"
- Clark Terry Octet (Clark Terry-tp, Britt Woodman-tb, Johnny Hodges-as, Paul Gonsalves-ts, Tyree Glenn-vib, Billy Strayhorn-p, Jimmy Woode-b, Sam Woodyard-(d) - Duke With A Difference (Seven Classic Albums, Disc 1) - "Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)"
- Coleman Hawkins and his All-Stars (Coleman Hawkins-ts, Billy Taylor-p, Milt Hinton-b, Jo Jones-d) - Jazz Tones (Swing Time: Vol. 036, Coleman Hawkins, 1949-54) - "Cheek To Cheek"
- Emily Remler Quartet (Emily Remler-g, Hank Jones-p, Bob Maize-b, Jake Hanna-d) - Firefly - "Perk's Blues"
- Emily Remler Quartet (Emily Remler-g, Hank Jones-p, Bob Maize-b, Jake Hanna-d) - Retrospective, Volume One "Standards" - "In A Sentimental Mood"
- Emily Remler Quartet (Emily Remler-g, Hank Jones-p, Buster Williams-b, Marvin "Smitty" Smith-d) - East To Wes - "Hot House"
- Emily Remler Quartet (John D'Earth-tp, Emily Remler-g, Eddie Gomez-b, Bob Moses-d) - Retrospective, Volume Two "Compositions" - "Catwalk"
- Larry Coryell - Emily Remler Duo (-g, -g) - Retrospective, Volume One "Standards" - "How Insensitive"
- Sonny Boy Williamson (II) - Inspiration-22 Great Harmonica Performances - "Trust My Baby"
- Rod Piazza And The Mighty Flyers - Beyond The Source - "Lovin' Daddy Blues"
- The Paul deLay Band - Take It From The Turnaround - "What's The Big Idea?"
- Otis Spann - Otis Spann´s Chicago Blues - "Jack-Knife (Instrumental)"
- James Cotton - Best of the Verve Years - "She's Murder"
- Hollywood Fats - Complete 1978 Studio Recordings Disc 2 - "Shake Your Boogie [Alternate Take][#]"
- Johnny Winter - Nothin' But The Blues (US 886972435022) - "Everybody's Blues"
Start the day right with WTJU! Classical Sunrise offers two hours of classical music to ease you through your busy morning with friendly, knowledgeable hosts, weather updates, and everything you… MoreStart the day right with WTJU! Classical Sunrise offers two hours of classical music to ease you through your busy morning with friendly, knowledgeable hosts, weather updates, and everything you need to begin your day with a smile. On Monday morning from 7-9, Jay and Madeline will help start your week off right with the best classical music from around the globe. LessHosted by Jay Jackson Monday | 09/18/2023 | 7:00 am
- Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART - Australian Chamber Orchestra; Richard Tognetti, conductor - Jonny Greenwood: Water; Mozart: Night Music (Live) - "Serenade No. 13 in G Major, K. 525 "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" (Live)"
- Benjamin GODARD - Chamberries; Anna Basharina, flute - Vision - "Suite De Trois Morceaux for Flute and Orchestra"
- Clara SCHUMANN - Claire Désert, piano - Abendmusik - "Variations on a theme by Robert Schumann, Op. 20 "ihm gewidmet""
Arthur BENJAMIN -
RTÉ Concert Orchestra; Ernest Tomlinson, conductor -
Miniatures (British Light Music) -
- Rebecca CLARKE - Gaia Duo - Stone, Salt & Sky - "Grotesque and Lullaby"
- George Philipp TELEMANN - Concentus Musicus Wien; Nikolaus Harnoncourt, conductor - Telemann: Concertos - "Concerto for 3 oboes, 3 violins and bass in B-flat"
- Johannes BRAHMS - Murray Perahia, piano - Brahms: Handel Variations - "Rhapsody No. 2 in G Minor (from Two Rhapsodies, Op. 79)"
- Fela SOWANDE - London Symphony Orchestra; Paul Freeman, conductor - Black Composer Series; Vol. 7 - "African Suite for String Orchestra"
- Carlos CHAVEZ - La Camerata; Tambuco Percussion Ensemble; Eduardo Mata, conductor - Carlos Chavez - "Xochipili, An Imagined Aztec Music (1940)"
- William Grant STILL - Noah Getz, saxophone; Ying-Shan Su, piano - Vignettes Influential Works of Black Composers - "Romance for Solo Alto Saxophone and Piano"
- Margaret BONDS - Lara Downes, piano; DavóneTines, baritone - Remember Me to Harlem - "When the Dove Enters In"
- Osvaldo LACERDA - Alexandre Ficarelli, oboe; Marcos Aragoni, piano - Brazilian Music for Oboe and Piano - "Sonata para Oboé e Piano"
Classical Prelude wakes you gently with fine orchestral and choral music. Most of the featured works are over 50 minutes long, enveloping you in a world of sound. Awaken to… MoreClassical Prelude wakes you gently with fine orchestral and choral music. Most of the featured works are over 50 minutes long, enveloping you in a world of sound. Awaken to music by classical and romantic composers such as Beethoven, Bruckner, Mozart, and Schubert. LessHosted by Jay Jackson Monday | 09/18/2023 | 5:00 am
- Alexander SCRIABIN - Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra; Andrew Litton, conductor; Yevgeny Sudbin, piano - Medtner: Piano Concerto No. 3 - Scriabin: Piano Concerto - "Piano Concerto in F-Sharp Minor, Op. 20"
- Jean SIBELIUS - Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra; Klaus Mäkelä, conductor - Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra; Klaus Mäkelä, conductor - "Symphony No. 3 in C Major, Op. 52"