In a year of amplified calls for racial justice, symphonies, college music departments, and classical music radio stations have been working to show that classical music is for and by all kinds of people.
On Friday, December 4, 4 – 5 p.m., WTJU hosted a panel discussion called “Making Classical Music Inclusive,” a conversation with Virginia composers and performers.
- Adolphus Hailstork, composer and professor at Old Dominion University
- Judith Shatin, composer, sound artist, and professor at UVA
- Reginald Mobley, Countertenor and Programming Consultant at Handel and Haydn Society of Boston
- Miriam Gordon-Stewart, Artistic Director at Victory Hall Opera
- Moderated by Brian Simalchik, co-host of WTJU’s A New Sound